Book Club Questions
I hope the following questions are useful, and your book club discussion is rewarding and enjoyable.
- What was the major difficulty facing Eileen?
- Was she disadvantaged by the times and the prevailing attitudes to women, and how are they different today?
- Were her good looks part of the problem, and in what way?
- Were there fewer opportunities in the farming district where she grew up, and could this have influenced her development as a person?
- Did the Depression play a part in thwarting her plans?
- What about the men in her life, did they help or hinder?
- Did Eileen recognise financial security as being helpful or otherwise?
- How might her actions have influenced the future generations?
- Could Eileen’s situation be repeated today?
- How does the book raise these ideas, and is the author relating ‘a cautionary tale’, or does she have questions of her own that she wants to ask her readers?